Saturday, April 25, 2009

With expectations come disappointment....

I have typically had issues with having expectations, and then being completely disappointed. Especially when I was a child. This happened constantly! You would think that becoming an adult, having gone through that, I would learn not to have expectations. Not so much. I think it is somewhat human nature, but it is something that I think we need to learn not to have. When we carry expectations of people, of situations, inevitably there is disappointment. What's the alternative? Not expecting.

Sometimes I get frustrated with people when they don't act in situations the way I would in the same situation. It has been something I constantly work with in my brain, the realization that just because I think a certain way is right, or the best, doesn't mean it is the only viable option. And even if someone picks another way, and it flops, it is still their choice. Yes, I know, I sound like a complete control freak. It is something I have come a long way with, letting go of expectation. I figured out that when I try to force my expectations, well, it usually ends up with me being irritated, and for no reason other than someone did things their way, and not mine. That hardly seems a reason to be irritated.

Letting go of expectations has really been an eye opening experience for me. I have always thought of myself as having a great deal of patience, and I do, but letting go of expectations increases that patience, and increasing the amount of peace I find inside. I can let go, and enjoy things more. I have found even more humor in the world. That is a whole other post, finding humor in the world.

Let go of those expectations you place on others, and many you place on yourself. Let them go and see what happens inside. It is so much happier a mind that is at peace.

1 comment:

  1. You better "follow me!"
    http://andersonville-lifewithoutlimits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete